- Alarm system assessment – analyze alarm system performance, benchmark against current best practices and standards, recommend areas for improvement.
- Alarm management training
– conduct seminar to educate key personnel on the design principles of
alarm management and how implementation of an alarm management system
will affect their specific responsibilities and the organization as a
whole. The content of this seminar is based on current industry
guidelines and standards.
- Alarm philosophy development
– lead a structured workshop, engaging key personnel, to gather the
information necessary to write an alarm philosophy tailored to site or
corporate needs. Prepare alarm philosophy document.
- Alarm rationalization – lead and facilitate alarm rationalization and documentation projects.
- Advanced / Enhanced alarm development – design alarms, customized to the process needs, to reduce alarm floods and nuisance alarms.
- Control strategy development / Process optimization
– develop and document control strategies to meet process, operational,
and organizational requirements; train operators in use of controls.
- Controller tuning – tune control loops based on open or closed loop testing, develop linearization and feed forward networks.
Experience & Accomplishments
30+ Years Industrial Experience
- Alarm management
– conducted alarm management principles training seminars, designed
advanced alarms, developed and wrote alarm philosophies, performed
alarm system assessments, facilitated alarm rationalizations, installed
alarm management hardware and software.
- Process control
– optimized processes with innovative and robust solutions: Designed
and implemented an automated reactor start-up strategy that reduced
start-up time tenfold with a $1.5 million annual increase in income;
Designed and implemented a control strategy for a high hazard chemical
reactor, including automated start up, operation, and shut down, that
is still in use after more than twenty years.
Six Sigma Black Belt
and implemented a control scheme that reduced downtime caused by lack
of feed by 54%, resulting in an annual $5.3 million increase in income
International Society of Automation (ISA)
- Active member since 1980
- Contributing member of the ISA-18.02 committee, Management of Alarm Systems in the Process Industries.